|IATA: MQV – ICAO: DA14|
|Elevation AMSL||295 ft / 90 m|
|Coordinates||35°54′31.99″N 000°08′56.39″E / 35.9088861°N 0.1489972°E / 35.9088861; 0.1489972|
MQV Location of airport in Algeria
Mostaganem Airport is a civilian airport in Mostaganem Province, Algeria (IATA: MQV, ICAO: DA14), located about 280 km west-southwest of Algiers. The airport has no commercial air service, and is sparsely used by general aviation.
World War IIEdit
During World War II, the facility was known as "Matemore Airfield". It was a major Twelfth Air Force Troop Carrier transport base of operations during the North African Campaign against the German Afrika Korps. It was used by the following combat units:
- 4th Troop Carrier Squadron (62d Troop Carrier Group), 18 May-25 June 1943, C-47 Skytrain
- 7th Troop Carrier Squadron (62d Troop Carrier Group), 21 May-22 June 1943, C-47 Skytrain
- 8th Troop Carrier Squadron (62d Troop Carrier Group), 17 May-1 June 1943, C-47 Skytrain
- 51st Troop Carrier Squadron (62d Troop Carrier Group), 16 May-2 July 1943, C-47 Skytrain
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.